Options to select preferred phone push notification audio alert

Hi!

1. Phone Push Notification Audio Alert

I activated the phone push notification but it’s giving what sounds like a little child saying Hello and in all honestly, it sounds quite creepy. I really don’t like it but I need an audio notification on my phone. Please tell me where to choose another phone alert.

1. The push notification button on the phone settings- IS that for audio alert? I’m not sure how I’m getting the audio actually

2. I noticed that the phone alert only alerts if my web monitor is on my PC (when I switch my PC on), I really need it to alert me when the PC is off - I am assuming that is the purpose. Kindly advise what settings to look at.

3. I need the app to work in the background and not only when I switch on the laptop (as per point no 3) and also if the app has been closed on the phone. I need it to notify irrespective of whether the app is open on the phone or not. Kindly advise.

Thank you!

Really NB. Thank you and kind regards,

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback about the push notification sound, Julia.

1. The Android app’s default sound is the hello in a child’s voice. We will change it in the next update. You can choose a different push notification sound under the app’s settings.

2. The push notification is sent using an action. The action could either be configured in a monitor’s Options page or in global actions page. It looks like this:

3. Local monitors only run when the device they are set to run on is active. Cloud monitors can be used to run monitor 24x7 without the need to keep the PC on. Here is an article with more information: Local Monitor vs. Cloud Monitor – Distill

4. This is related to the last point. Cloud monitor is the way to run things in the background. Please note that the phone app doesn’t check the monitors for changes. Its primary use is to get push notifications and manage the Watchlist.

Please don’t change the default sound!

The child voice saying Hello is incredibly useful and I would be sad to lose it

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, @legendarysubmit. We will pause the change in default notification sound. If we did change the default it, you have the option to choose it back from the app’s settings page.

1 Like

Thank you. Makes great sense. Regarding the ‘hello’, I’ve got used to it but would be great to have extra options as I sometimes need to run it through the night and be alerted to changes in the early hours of the morning. This app has been so helpful and I really like how it is set up. Excellent app!

You can change the push notification sounds in two ways,

Option 1:
You can change and set up custom notification sounds via the default phone settings. Here’s how to do this:

1. On your device, navigate to Settings > Apps > Distill. The menu settings may be slightly different on some devices—for this guide, we’ll be using a Samsung device.
  2. Find the app you wish to set a custom tone for and select it.
  3. On the app info page, tap Notifications and toggle on the slider button for Show notifications.
  4. You will be able to view a number of notification categories under the Other section on the Notifications page specific to each app, such as General or device-level notifications. Choose the appropriate category and select Alert. Do note that categories will vary across different apps.
  5. On the Notification category page, scroll down to the Sound section. It shows the default tone enabled for the app. Tap Sound and select your desired notification tone from the list to change the presets.

Option 2:
You can change and set up custom notification sounds via the Distill app’s settings page. Here’s how to do this:

1. On your device, navigate to Distill > Left Menu (in the Home page) > Settings > Push Notifications. It will take you to the Phone Settings page as I mentioned in Option 1 and follow the steps.
1 Like