Desktop App for Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.6) Blank on Launch

I installed the flatpak for the desktop app on Ubuntu. It appeared to have installed successfully, but when launched it shows only a completely empty screen. I assume I am supposed to be taken to a browser to log in but I can’t because nothing happens.

I have tried rebooting, I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing and rebooting again, but no joy.

Hello @mrage ,
Thank you for reporting your issue here.

Are you on the latest version of the Desktop app?

To my knowledge I am, I installed it via downloading the flatpak from the distill website.

The same for windows desktop app - I get an automated upgrade to 3.10.8 and all of my monitors (details) are gone :frowning: Just a blank list of URL to monitor.

This sounds like a different issue from mine. Mine is a completely blank window of white.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with needing to be logged in but that a browser is not launching to do so.

Hello @mrage,

Thank you for reporting your issue here.

Something to try: Refresh the app by using Ctrl + r and see if the watchlist loads. Even without signing in, users should be able to see a watchlist and add and run monitors as well.

If the above doesn’t work, would you be able to share some info about the app when launched?
What we need are any possible errors when the app is launched using the terminal.

To launch via terminal:

1. Open a terminal and go to the app installation directory using cd. Your command will be either:
    • cd /var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin
    • or cd /home/\<username\>/.local/share/flatpak/exports/bin/ or cd ~/.local/share/flatpak/exports/bin/
  2. Once you cd into this directory, you can run the binary using: ./io.distill.distill-web-monitor
  3. The app will be launched and the terminal will show logs.

Could you share all the logs/errors that show up in the terminal after you launch?

The errors obtained from the above steps would help us debug the issue faster and find a fix for it.

[3 zypak-helper] Portal v4 is not available
[3:0621/113807.051493:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:0621/113807.051572:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:0621/113807.051596:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:0621/113807.051617:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:0621/113807.051637:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: 11:38:07.108: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 11:38:07.109: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[3:0621/113807.150700:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:0621/113807.247639:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(590)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.portal.Settings.Read: object_path= /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop: org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Requested setting not found
Created db file in:  /home/matt/.var/app/io.distill.distill-web-monitor/config/Distill Web Monitor/distill.sqlite.db
chrome.windows.getCurrent:options: 
flatpak-spawn: Unknown option --envSBX_NET_NS=1
Try "flatpak-spawn --help" for more information.
This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). The promise rejected with the reason:
Error: ERR_FAILED (-2) loading 'app:///distill/ui/electron-index.html'
    at rejectAndCleanup (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:85498)
    at WebContents.stopLoadingListener (node:electron/js2c/browser_init:2:85885)
    at WebContents.emit (node:events:513:28)
    at WebContents.emit (node:domain:489:12)
    at emitter.emit (/app/lib/io.distill.distill-web-monitor/resources/app/node_modules/@sentry/electron/main/integrations/electron-breadcrumbs.js:119:20)

Hello @mrage

Thank you very much for taking your time to provide the errors.
We have found a fix for the issue. Turns out it was an outdated library and we have updated it and hence fixed the issue.
The fix will be available in the next release of the app.

Very good, thank you!

@mrage Sure no problem. Just posting here to notify you that an update with the fix has been released for the Desktop App, which is now version 3.10.10

I appreciate it. I’m out of town currently but when I get back I’m excited to try it.

1 Like